Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Rainbows and blueberries

This week is just one of those gloomy weeks where you wish you could have soaked up a little more sun in the summer. Being indoors poses some new challenges with an energetic three year old and an eight month old (who, thank goodness is not yet crawling).
I found some printable paper dolls on the internet thinking maybe Maddy would find them amusing for a little while. Then after successfully glueing two dresses to two different dolls, I walked in to find her spitting something out of her mouth. After close examination I discovered the glue was gone, and I could see little bite marks in what was left over in the stick. Oh great.
Its like all the sudden she has this incredible amount of energy and I dont know where it is coming from or how to channel it into something that doesnt end up with her eating something that is not food. Today it was glue, crayons, and a foam sponge that was for painting. Why is she still eating things like she is one year old? I dont get it! Anyway, the energy thing is kind of cute when I am not exhausted by it. I had a ladder set up and was dusting the ceiling fan in our bedroom and Madelyn was climbing up after I had repeatedly asked her not to. Finally I gave up that battle and watched her climb mid-way up and hold on with one of her hands. The other hand and foot were stretched out in mid-air, toes pointed and hand straight. "Look mommy, I'm a rainbow!" I have to admit it was pretty funny.
I made blueberry pancakes for us girls for dinner because I was too tired to attempt anything else. I used a cup of flour, one egg, one teaspoon of baking powder, one Tbls of oil, and a cup each of defrosted blueberries and milk. Not bad for one meal. I had about three or four, drenched in sugar- free syrup and didn't feel bad about it at all. Drus had her very first blueberry pancake and loved it, In fact it was gone in about five minutes, followed by a very loud and satisfying burp.
Maddy, on the other hand liked the idea of purple pancakes more than the pancakes themselves. After trying a bite that was clearly too hot, she spit it back out and ran away. She came back a few minutes later and ate around the bueberries. Good enough. Then she had one in her fingers and tried a bite. Nope. Oh well. At least she tried it. I have been trying to get her to at least taste things before declaring them yucky. I was so proud. As she skipped away she even said, "Thanks mom!". Can't get any better than that!

No comments: