Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Yum Yum!

Allright, I have some pictures I would like to post and a yummy new dessert recipe that is my new favorite. Unfortunately, I am still doing something wrong when adding pictures! So frustrating!
This recipe is so good, but I can't take credit for it. My Grandma gave me a Taste of Home cookbook for 2008, and this recipe was included in it. I was so surprised at the way the flavors complimented each other! Now, I have had a homemade Winger's asphalt pie that followed the same concept of crust, ice cream, and whipped topping, but this calls for mixing the ice cream with instant pudding and so I went ahead and used fat free ice cream with Splenda, and the creaminess of the pudding made up for the difference just fine! I also used fat free cool whip and you could definitely use reduced fat ritz too.
Pistachio Ice Cream Dessert
Prep: 20 min + freezing time

1 cup crushed butter-flavored (Ritz) crackers
1/4 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup cold milk
1 package (3.4 ounces) instant pistachio pudding mix
1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
2 packages (1.4 ounces each) Heath candy bar, crushed

In a bowl, combine the cracker crumbs and butter. Press into an ungreased 9-in. squared baking pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 7-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft set.Stir in ice cream; pour over crust. Cover and freeze for two hours or until firm.
Spread with whipped topping; sprinklewith crushed candy bars. Cover and freeze for one hour or until firm.

Thats it! Now I do realize that not many people will be in the mood for ice cream in January. I think I will wait until summer to make it again, when I want to make a dessert and not use the oven.

No comments: